I've had our beer bottled for about two weeks now, but lots has happened in those two weeks and, as a result, my blog has suffered. Solid Orange American Wheat has successfully been transformed from this:
First off, I had to collect some bottles. I haven't had good beer in months because of my low-carb diet, so I had to go scrounge in other places. Laura Alberts was good enough to donate 12 bomber bottles, I had saved a couple up, and my cousin came through with a few Heineken bottles from a weekend on the boat. I was planning on labeling them myself, so the stickers had to come off.
After a few minutes soaking, they came right off. I ran them through the dishwasher afterward, and put some sanitizer into the detergent compartment so that they'd all be sanitized. This had the added benefit of making my dishwasher smell nice. While they were being dried, I got the beer ready to be moved into its final destination. First off, I had to transfer it into a bottling bucket so that the sediment didn't get reintegrated into the beer.
They sat in the guest room for a couple weeks, and then they were ready for initial tasting. First, though, I had to make a label. I whipped this up in Photoshop, printed it on some stick-on labels, and then they were ready to go:
The first tasting was interesting. There's not nearly as much orange as I was hoping there would be, and it's a little watery. I'm going to let it sit for a little while longer though, as both of those things should improve over time. The overall taste is very enjoyable, and I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out. Hopefully, it'll hit its prime right in the middle of football season.